Autumn block calving have potential cost savings of between 1ppl & 4 ppl over all year round herds.
AHDB are encouraging farmers to review their business and consider if their current production system is right for them. This meeting will look at how and why Colin Nicholson and his son Sean changed their all-year round calving Holsteins to an autumn block calving system.
Find out how they swopped 10,000+ litres and 2 robots for a 7600 litre average and a swingover parlour, in the process halving their overdraft and improving family lifestyle. Learn how they have tackled paddock grazing with their Holstein Friesians, as well as:
- Business impacts – yield, seasonality, cash flow, contracts
- Infrastructure and physical limitations – grazing, housing, handling, parlour etc
- People – managing peaks and troughs in labour demand and management at busy times
- Herd management – breeding, fertility, productivity and youngstock
- Targets for physical and financial performance
Join AHDB, Colin and Sean and their LIC consultant Bess Jowsey to find out the lessons they have learned and future plans for the business.
Date: Tuesday 23 October 2018
Time: 10.45 – 13.00 (lunch provided for those who book in)
Venue: Castiles Farm, Grantley, Ripon HG4 3PU by kind permission of Colin and Sean Nicholson.
To find out more or book a place, please contact the KE Events hub on 01904 771216 or email email@example.com
The cost is covered through your levy. Booking is essential. Please bring a clean pair of wellington boots to help with biosecurity and out of respect to the host’s farm business.
Dairy Pro Points are available for attending this event, Click here for more details