- News Articles
- Technical Articles
- Be a winner - DairyCo Dairy Farmer of the Year 2009
- Discover the true potential of grass through DairyCo
- First training event for vets in the DairyCo Mastitis Control Plan
- What if you could find the time to plan for the long term?
- Think Carefully About Crossbreeding
- Managing Milk Hygiene at Grazing
- Promoting the Image of Dairy Farming
- Helping Solve the Mastitis Puzzle
- What If you could find the time to plan for the long term?
- Fresh Air is Free
- Earth banked slurry lagoons – think before you dig!
- When was the last time you looked at your farm’s energy costs?
- Cattle Mobility Score
- Mastitis Project
- Mastistis Control Plan
- Crossbreeding Dairy Farmer
- Milk Matters - Water Use
- British Dairying Response
- Mastitis Control Plan Case Study
- National Osteoporosis Society launches new educational website
- Food a Fact of Life – Secondary school resources
- First Milk announce financial results for 2008/09
- Dairy Event & Livestock Show 2009
- A Little Book of Goodness
- Recruitment and people management made easy
- DairyCo chairman opens Harper Adams’ new £2.3m dairy unit
- Sand Beds
- Keeping the Energy Balance Neutral Through Transition
- Does Inbreeding Present a Risk To Your Herd?
- Hitchon Case Study
- Herd Hierarchy
- Abbey Farmers Challenge Dairyco Knowledge on Transition Cow Management
- New measures for EU dairy sectors
- Why Dry Cow Management Matters
- Simple Changes to Grass Management
- Precision Feeding for Productive Cows
- Lameness in British Dairy Herd
- Milk Matters
- Mastitis Control Plan Update
- Is calving index important for higher yielding herds?
- The School Milk Project helping celebrate World School Milk Day
- EU Commission’s High Level Expert Group on Milk meets for the first time (1)
- Dairy Crest and Robert Wiseman interim results 2009
- Arla's new factory
- First Milk reduced shareholding in Wiseman
- Victory for aspiring athlete at the lord mayor’s mile race
- All change in the Jan 2010 proofs with calving ease indexes and new all-breed information
- Milk Matters - Energy Calculator
- Calving Ease and 2010 Changes
- Detection of standing heat is vital when timing insemination
- Feeding Dairy Cows
- Back to Basics on Slurry Pooling
- What if? Questions for DairyCo.
- First Milk’s chairman to replace the chief executive
- Scottish Health & Welfare Event
- Managing Autumn & Winter Grass - Richard Butter
- Cow Signals - reading cow behaviour to identify problem areas in their surroundings or routine
- Staff Management
- Focus on Foot Condition to Reduce Lameness
- Breeding Case Study - Tom King
- Press Releases
- Press Archive
Archive: First Milk announce financial results for 2008/09
Published 25 September 09
This page has been archived and no longer updated. more info
First Milk has released a statement outlining its financial performance for the 2008/09 period. During the period, the company have reported a net loss of £7.1m, which includes a non-recurring item of £3.6m, for redundancies and restructuring at its Claygate and Maelor sites.
Falling returns from commodity cheese, whey and powders towards the end of the financial period resulted in a 3% fall in turnover, to £582m. In common with the majority of milk buyers, the co-op increased the price paid to its members, compared to the previous financial year. However, towards the end of the year with market returns under pressure the co-op made the decision to utilise its reserves to help shield members from facing the full extent of the market downturn in their farmgate price.
The statement also outlined objectives for the coming period, which included development of a new creamery at Campbeltown. The company also plans to increase the amount of branded cheese it sells from 5%* in 2008/09, to 20% in the coming period. This will be primarily through its Lake District Company and Pembrokeshire Cheese Company brands.
More detailed analysis of the company accounts will be included in the DairyCo Datum Update on 01 October.
*Based on total cheese produced by the co-op.