If you want to reduce lameness in the herd then understanding hoof anatomy is crucial. Join AHDB Dairy and Dr Reuben Newsome for a practical session which will include dissecting hooves, as well as discussing new research findings in how to protect cows’ feet and prevent lameness. Reuben will demonstrate:
- Dismantling healthy and diseased feet to see the important structures to maintain for good mobility
- Observe the attachment between hoof and bone – the laminae.
- Identify the fat pads and compare this structure in healthy and compromised hooves
- Compare white lines
- Measure and compare pedal bones
- Examine sole thickness – what is optimal?
- Assess digital and interdigital skin – how to prevent digital dermatitis
- Ideal foot trimming method and timing
We thank Synergy Farm Health for their support with this event.
Date: Thursday 21 February 2019
Venue: Bineham City Farm, Bineham Lane, Langport, Somerset, TA10 9JF by kind permission of Messrs D & P Coombes
Time: 11:00 – 14:00 (lunch provided)
Speaker: Dr Reuben Newsome BVMBVS BVMedSci PGDipVCP PhD MRCVS
The cost of attending this meeting is funded via your levy. Please ensure you register as there are only 25 places.
Please ensure you wear a clean pair of wellington boots and clothing for biosecurity reasons and out of respect for the host farm.
To find out more or book a place, please contact the KE Events hub on 01904 771216 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dairy Pro Points are available for attending this event, Click here for more details