- Milk Prices & Contracts
- Dairy Sales & Consumption
- Supply & Production
- Processing & Trade
- Farming Data
- Farm Expenses
- Milk Price Calculator
Kingshay Dairy Costings - National
Published 10 February 17
- In December 2016, compared to December 2015, the average daily yield per cow for farms using Kingshay costings decreased by 0.7 litres (2.6%) to 25.8 litres per day.
- Yield from all forage decreased by 0.4 litres (5.7%) to 6.6 litres per cow compared with the same month of the previous year.
- The average herd size for December 2016 was 211, an increase of 4 (1.9%) compared with the same month in the previous year.
- The average milk price of 25.97ppl in December 2016 was 0.99ppl (4.0%) higher than the average price in the previous month, and 1.42ppl (5.8%) higher than in December 2015.
- Margin over purchased feed (MOPF) per cow in herd increased by £5 (4.2%) compared with December 2015. MOPF per litre also increased, up by 1.23ppl (7.3%) on the year.
For more detailed information or to contact Kingshay click here.
|Monthly results for:||Dec-16||Nov-16||Dec-15|
|Cows in herd (end of month)||211||206||207|
|Yield per cow in milk (litres/day)||25.8||24.7||26.5|
|Yield from forage per cow (litres/day)||6.6||5.7||7.0|
|% of total yield from forage||26%||23%||26%|
|Cell count (000)||150||158||158|
|Milk Price (ppl)||25.97||24.98||24.55|
|Concentrate use per litre (Kg/litre)||0.34||0.36||0.34|
|Concentrate price per tonne (£/tonne)||209||208||206|
|All purchased feed cost (ppl)||7.89||8.22||7.70|
|MOPF per cow in herd (£)||125||107||120|
|MOPF per litre (p)||18.08||16.76||16.85|
Rolling Annual Averages
Rolling annual data for the 12 months to December 2016 saw an increase of 3 cows in herd compared with the same period in the previous year. Milk yield from forage increased by 53 litres per cow to 2,600 litres. Yield from forage accounted for 33% of total milk yield, which was 8,007 litres per cow. The milk price decreased over the 12 months by 2.40ppl (9.6%) to 22.63ppl. MOPF per cow in herd decreased by £171 (11.9%) and MOPF per litre decreased by 1.85ppl (10.5%).
|Rolling annual averages to:||Dec-16||Dec-15|
|Cows in herd||202||199|
|Yield per cow (litres)||8,007||8,140|
|Yield from forage per cow (litres)||2,600||2,547|
|% of total yield from forage||33%||31%|
|Butterfat ( %)||4.11||4.05|
|Milk Price (ppl)||22.63||25.03|
|Concentrate use per litre (kg/litre)||0.31||0.31|
|Concentrate price per tonne (£/tonne)||202||216|
|All purchased feed cost (ppl)||6.86||7.41|
|MOPF per cow in herd (£)||1,263||1,434|
|MOPF per litre (p)||15.77||17.62|
The tables above show the average performance of herds using the Kingshay Dairy Manager costings service. Although the sample size Kingshay use to collect the data is relatively large, it does not necessarily reflect the trends and performance of UK dairy herds. It is also worth noting that retrospective adjustments to the data may also occur.
Dairy Costings Focus Report
Kingshay’s ‘Annual Dairy Costings Focus Report’ reviews milk price trends to March 2016 and ranks data by feed costs, yield from forage, region, yield band and herd size from Dairy Manager, with additional results from Kingshay’s Health Manager service, including fertility and cell counts. This report also includes information on Organic and Jersey and Guernsey herds. Electronic copies of the current and past issues can be accessed via the Kingshay website by clicking here.
Please note that figures for Organic, Jersey and Guernsey herds are available by contacting Kingshay or from the Kingshay Website. For further information or to contact Kingshay click here.