- GB milk production rise is not unusual22 March 2017
After four consecutive weekly rises, GB milk production is now sitting just 1.1% below the same week last year. Volumes increased by about 4% between the start of February and the middle of March. While this rise is significantly above the 2% rise recorded over the same period last year, it is in line with 2015 and is not unusual for this time of year.
- Payments on EU milk reduction scheme lower than expected22 March 2017
Under the EU’s Milk Production Reduction Scheme, farmers applied to reduce production by a total of 1,029m litres during the period covering October-December 2016. However, applications for payment fell short of the volumes originally indicated in September 2016.
- More SMP intervention stock on the cards?21 March 2017
Current levels of SMP intervention sit at around 350k tonnes, with only 40 tonnes being sold through the tender process (in mid-Dec).
- Does SMP in intervention have a use-by date?21 March 2017
After six tenders achieving sales of just 40 tonnes of SMP, the EU Commission were asked if there was a deadline for when product needed to be sold by.
- EU forecast rise in 2017 milk production16 March 2017
Milk production in the EU-28 is expected to rise in 2017 on the back of improved yields, according to the European Commission. Although the dairy herd is forecast to shrink by 1.6% in 2017, it is expected that yields will continue to improve, by 2.0%, leading to a 0.6% rise in deliveries for the year.
- Counting the cost of potential trade tariffs15 March 2017
Tariffs could inflate the current cost of some traded dairy products by as much as 50-60%*, if they were imposed between the UK and EU after Brexit.
- EU dairy herd falls in 2016…albeit marginally15 March 2017
Provisional figures, from Eurostat, show that the EU dairy herd fell just 0.2% (49k head) in 2016, compared to the year before. This is the fourth year in a row where the herd has been relatively stable around the 23.5m head mark.
- Dutch dairy cull could pick up speed15 March 2017
The Netherlands has more than doubled the number of dairy cows to be removed from the national herd during the first phase of its plan to reduce phosphate emissions.
- Reduced interest for SMP intervention stocks15 March 2017
The sixth tender process for SMP intervention ended last week with only two bids for just 136 tonnes. This is a large step change from the first tender where 19,707 tonnes were bid.
- New appointment to roll out whole-farm benchmarking across UK15 March 2017
Enabling more farmers to benchmark performance and improve cost management across whole farm businesses is behind the appointment of a new Farm Benchmarking Manager at AHDB.