- Optimising calf housing all year round25 April 2017
Farmers in north east Scotland are being urged to come along to a free on farm meeting to discuss how to ensure their dairy housing offers the best possible environment for young stock all year round.
- Arla foods amba price drop by UKAF holds firm25 April 2017
Although Arla Foods amba is decreasing its on-account price for conventional milk by one eurocent per kilogramme from 1 May 2017, the UKAF board has taken the decision to maintain the conventional price in the UK at 28.13 pence per litre.
- UK cheese exports continue to grow25 April 2017
EU destinations accounted for ten out of twelve of the largest export markets for UK cheese in 2016. The only two non-EU countries to make the top dozen were USA and Saudi Arabia.
According to data from Comtrade, overall cheese exports in 2016 were 163k tonnes, of which 91k tonnes was cheddar or cheddar variants. The chart below shows the top destinations, ranked by total tonnage. Bars outlined in red are for non-EU countries.
- Grants of up to £2,500 available to attend dairy conferences20 April 2017
Following the success of previous conference grants, AHDB Dairy is again offering a limited number of grants towards a selection of conferences over the next financial year, to continue to encourage profitable growth and development of dairy farming in GB.
- Will New Zealand storms halt recovery in milk production?19 April 2017
After being hit by two severe storms, milk production in New Zealand (NZ) will undoubtedly be impacted, at least in the short term. With grazing restricted, and farmers having to deal with higher feeding costs, production is expected to drop in the short term.
- UK consumer spending now under pressure 19 April 2017
Tentative signs that consumer confidence may be easing back as inflation is picking up again will impact on household spending. This could slow the expected 1.8% rate of growth in GDP if other sectors are unable to fill the gap.
- Retail dairy markets see rise in value19 April 2017
The latest grocery market figures from Kantar Worldpanel see total grocery sales value increase by 1.4% compared to the same time last year. Most dairy products have also seen value growth in the past year, with the exception of cheese.
- Markets should level out but bumps along the way19 April 2017
Global dairy markets are expected to stay relatively level overall until at least mid-2017, but there is likely to be short-term volatility along the way, according to Rabobank. This is due to large SMP stocks, uncertain production volumes and currency fluctuations causing hesitation in the market.
- Increases seen in average GDT prices, market positivity seen in contract prices?19 April 2017
The latest Global Dairy Trade (GDT) auction Price Index rose 3.1%, after a number of products saw average increases.
- Futures markets under pressure for SMP while butter is uncertain14 April 2017
EU SMP prices continued to fall in March as prices headed towards the intervention level.