- No SMP sold in latest EU tender – what’s the impact?
- Global production peak at 3-year low
- Forward prices still showing a premium
- Sterling firms following announcement of Brexit plans
- Butterfat payments slip behind market
- Müller announce investment and site closure
- EU slaughtering increase in 2016
- Brexit remarks spark new low for Sterling
- Milk production on the rise
- No SMP sold as buyers seek intervention deals
- German dairy herd consolidates
- WMP price weighs down New Year GDT
- UK farmgate prices less responsive than European counterparts
- Higher sales but no value growth for cheese (1)
- Supporting small farms to build better businesses
- New approach to mastitis ‘almost halves’ farmer’s costs
- NVZ Designations and Appeals
- British Cattle Breeders’ Club conference brings industry together
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- January 2017
- Technical Articles
- News Archive
- No SMP sold in latest EU tender – what’s the impact?20 January 2017
The latest (third) tender process for the sale of SMP sitting in intervention saw bids for nearly 7.5k tonnes of product but nothing sold.
- Global production peak at 3-year low19 January 2017
Milk production from the five main exporting nations has recorded its lowest October peak in three years. Global milk supplies normally increase in October due to the timing of Oceania’s peak production period. This year, however, New Zealand (NZ) has seen their lowest peak since 2012 while Australia is currently running at a 9-year low.
- Forward prices still showing a premium18 January 2017
AHDB Dairy’s Forward Market Performance (FMP) indicator is continuing to show a premium over current prices. The latest numbers show that, despite wholesale prices increasing over the last few months, those trading futures still believe demand will outstrip supply in the spring.
- Sterling firms following announcement of Brexit plans18 January 2017
Rather than compounding the declining value of Sterling against the Euro, the announcement of the government’s plans for exiting the EU have instead provided some reassurance to markets. This pushed Sterling back above €1.15 after a week of declining values.
- NVZ Designations and Appeals16 January 2017
Defra has announced the Nitrate Vulnerable Zones (NVZs) for 2017-20. NVZs are areas designated as being at risk from agricultural nitrate pollution. They include about 58% of land in England. The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) reviews NVZs every 4 years to account for changes in water pollution.
- British Cattle Breeders’ Club conference brings industry together 16 January 2017
An exciting line-up of speakers has been booked for the forthcoming British Cattle Breeders Club (BCBC) annual British Cattle Conference, which will take place on January 23-25, 2017. ‘Practical Innovation – Today’s Challenges for Tomorrow’s Generation’ is the theme which has been chosen for 2017 by Conference chairman, Iain Kerr, who is also the chief executive of the British Limousin Society.
- Butterfat payments slip behind market13 January 2017
According to AHDB’s Milk Price Calculator, farm prices in the UK are not currently reflecting the true market value of cream in payments for butterfat. Milk buyers tend to follow one of two approaches when milk prices are adjusted; either the butterfat and protein payments are both changed in line with historically set ratios, or the base price is adjusted. Neither approach is currently giving the full market signal to farmers about the value of butterfat.
- New approach to mastitis ‘almost halves’ farmer’s costs 13 January 2017
At a recent event hosted on Bryn Jones’ farm near Oswestry local farmers heard how AHDB Dairy’s Mastitis Control Plan had helped him to significantly reduce the rate of new clinical mastitis cases and reduce antibiotic use across his 800-cow herd, delivering annual savings of around £57,000.
- Müller announce investment and site closure12 January 2017
Müller Milk & Ingredients has announced a £60m investment to upgrade the network of fresh milk and ingredients in Britain.
- EU slaughtering increase in 201612 January 2017
According to Eurostat, EU cow slaughterings (Jan-Sep) increased 8% compared to 2015 and have been at their highest level for a number of years.