- April 2017
- Spring flush unlikely to pressure fat prices
- 2017-18 milk production tracker
- Payments on EU milk reduction scheme lower than expected
- GB milk production rise is not unusual
- More SMP intervention stock on the cards?
- Does SMP in intervention have a use-by date?
- EU forecast rise in 2017 milk production
- Counting the cost of potential trade tariffs
- EU dairy herd falls in 2016…albeit marginally
- Dutch dairy cull could pick up speed
- Reduced interest for SMP intervention stocks
- FMP produces negative figure for first time in a year
- Money in meeting buyer milk specifications
- GDT price tumbles as forecast volumes grow
- Storage Aid closes at peak use and still no intervention sales
- How high will milk production go?
- Get more for your milk with AHDB Dairy’s revised Milk Price Calculator
- New appointment to roll out whole-farm benchmarking across UK
- Take part in LEAF Open Farm Sunday, 11th June 2017
- New Board Members for AHDB Dairy
- New Mastitis PTA will be launched next month
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- Technical Articles
- News Archive
New appointment to roll out whole-farm benchmarking across UK
Published 15 March 17
Enabling more farmers to benchmark performance and improve cost management across whole farm businesses is behind the appointment of a new Farm Benchmarking Manager at AHDB.
Doreen Anderson will head up a team responsible for rolling out a new business management programme focusing on benchmarking and peer-to-peer learning across crop and livestock enterprises.
Doreen has a wealth of experience helping farmers benchmark their costs of production, having worked at AHDB since 2012 on various projects including dairy and beef benchmarking, as well as more recently Monitor Farms and Arable Business Groups.
She said: “This is an exciting time for me and the team as we are at the beginning of an interesting and challenging journey. AHDB has long been involved in benchmarking programmes at sector level but a whole-farm approach will prove more beneficial to the farmers and give a better picture of their farm as a business by looking at all their enterprises together.”
Her appointment is part of AHDB’s renewed drive to upskill farmers and growers by providing them with the tools and understanding to monitor performance relative to their peers and improve their business decision-making.
The team will cover the whole UK, with five regional officers working across beef, lamb, potatoes, cereals, oilseeds and later dairy.
Its primary focus is to help farmer and grower groups upload figures onto AHDB’s new benchmarking software, Farmbench, interpret the results and discuss ways of reducing costs of production. It will also be training consultants, advisers and vets to use Farmbench with their own discussion groups.
Doreen added: “The number of groups is always increasing and so our diaries are forever full. The advantage of working with discussion groups is we can help farmers who wouldn’t necessarily think of attending a benchmarking group get together to discuss their recent issues with their peers and help them make informed decisions based on the reports.
“Our ambition is to get far more of our levy payers involved and help them to start seeing real benefits to their businesses.”
The new programme supports AHDB’s strategic priority of inspiring farming and growing businesses to be more competitive and resilient.
Doreen, who is based in Scotland, can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07901 116 454. Regional Benchmarking Officers are Holly Howsam for East Anglia and the East Midlands (07767 001543), David Pett for the South West (07813 454537), Meg Loynes for the West Midlands and Wales (07815 600240) and Emma Nankervis (07391 017763) for the South East. A post for the North is soon to be recruited. All can be emailed on email@example.com