GB Liquid Milk Market

Published 15 August 16

GB Liquid Milk Expenditure and Volume Sales

Comparing the 52 w/e 24 May 2015 and the 52 w/e 22 May 2016:

  • Total milk volume sales rose by 0.7% in the year to 22 May 2016, despite this increase the total value of the market is now 1.7% lower. This is caused by a decline in average price, standing at 57ppl, 2.4% lower than a year ago.

  • In the 52 weeks to 22 May 2016, pasteurised milk accounts for 87% of milk volumes sold and therefore any change in metrics for this product is heavily influential on the total market for liquid milk. To put this in context, the 4.6% growth for filtered milk is equivalent to around 12m litres. The much smaller 0.4% increase in volume for pasteurised milk means over 20m extra litres were sold.

  • The hard discounters (Aldi and Lidl) made inroads into the share of the liquid milk market held by both the multiples and independent/symbol stores in the year to May 2016.  Milk sales grew by 17.7% through the hard discounters in this time period. However, their value share of the total milk market (8.2%) is slightly smaller than their share of total grocery (10.7%).

52 weeks ending 22 May 2016

 

Volume (000 Litres)

YOY diff

Spend (£000s)

YOY diff

Average price (£/Litre)

YOY diff

Total milk market

5,506,870

0.7%

3,114,454

-1.7%

0.57

-2.4%

Pasteurised*

4,792,712

0.4%

2,510,499

-3.1%

0.52

-3.6%

Filtered

285,690

4.6%

223,306

2.9%

0.78

-1.6%

UHT

237,140

-7.5%

157,459

-7.1%

0.66

0.5%

Soya

85,373

4.1%

79,476

3.3%

0.93

-0.7%

Sterilised

7,202

-14.1%

7,517

-3.2%

1.04

12.8%

Other milk types

98,754

28.3%

136,197

27.4%

1.38

-0.7%

Source: Kantar Worldpanel

*Kantar Worldpanel classify all non bar-coded products such as doorstep milk as pasteurised.

Chart For Aug Website Update

Market share by value (%)

52 w/e

25-May-14

24-May-15

22-May-16

Top 5 Multiples

70.6

70.1

69.8

Total Hard Discounters

6.2

7.1

8.2

Total Independents & Symbols

4.2

4.1

3.5

Total Bargain Stores

0.5

0.4

0.4

Milkman

6.9

7.0

6.8

Other retailers

11.5

11.3

11.3

Source: Kantar Worldpanel

For more information on other milk sales (such as Organic and Doorstep Deliveries), please see the documents in ‘Related publications’.

Please note that liquid milk data were reweighted by Kantar Worldpanel in March 2016 and differ from previous updates. This also impacts historical data. For further information please contact us.